People to Notify

As it’s a difficult time for the family when someone passes away, it can be difficult to think about who to notify.

Below is a list we have put together to help you make a start, further information can be found from the Department of Work & pensions, contact number 0800 0857308.

  • Organisations:

    Car insurance

    • If the policy is in the name of the deceased any ‘additional drivers’ named on the policy are no longer insured once the policy holder has died so make sure the documentation is changed to reflect the new situation.

    Social services/district nurses

    • If there is equipment belonging to either of these it must be returned.

    Hospital and/or family doctor

    • Any outstanding appointments will need to be cancelled.

    Employer or professional association

    Inland Revenue

    Social Security

    • Form 344/BD8 needs to be completed to cancel any direct payments into the deceased’s bank account. This white certificate is provided by the Registrar of Deaths.

    Local council

    • Cancel any housing/rate benefits and council tax.


    • Gas, electric, water telephone and cable companies.

    Post Office

    • Arrange redirection of mail.

    Credit and store cards

    • Cancel cards and settle accounts.

    Banks and Building Societies

    • Accounts need to be closed and any joint accounts need to be amended. Any debit cards should be returned or destroyed.

    Investment, insurance and pension policies

    • Premium bonds are not transferable. The Post Office will issue you with a form that needs to be sent to the Bonds and Stocks Office. For further advice we suggest that you consult an independent financial adviser or accountant.
  • Services you may need to cancel:

    • Newspapers
    • Meals on Wheels
    • Home help/cleaner Dentist
    • Optician
    • Doctor
    • Hairdresser
    • Gardener

    The Bereavement Register will be of help in stopping unwanted mail to the deceased

    Items to be returned:

    • Return to The Passport Office, UK Passport Agency, 5th Floor, India Building, Water Street, Liverpool

    Driving Licence

    • Return to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB.

    Vehicle registration documents to change name of ownership

    • Return to DVLA as above to be amended.

    Television license

    • To change name or apply for a refund.

    Season tickets and club membership cards

    • Refunds may be available. Check with the clubs on an individual basis.

    Library card and books on loan

    • Return to the library.

    National Insurance papers

Get in touch

If you require guidance with making Funeral arrangements, contact the understanding professionals at G. E. Simnett & Family Funeral Directors in Chellaston.
To speak to a member of our team in Chellaston or Spondon, please contact us via the number listed at the top of our website. Alternatively if you wish to send us an email with any enquiries you can fill out the form located on the Contact Us page of this website.

By using this site or closing this you agree to our Cookie Policy.
Accept Cookies